An orthopedic specialist should be a part of your treatment plan if you’re dealing with back pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, or any other kind of pain that was caused by injury, aging, or disease.

Orthopedic specialists can treat a variety of musculoskeletal problems, such as:

  • Traumatic injuries to the bones, joints, tendons, muscles, and even nerves
  • Conditions like arthritis, scoliosis, and degenerative disc disease
  • Pain or injuries caused by repetitive motion
  • Chronic pain

You may need to see your family doctor first. If you see them regularly, their opinion on who you should see will be helpful.  Most of the time, you need a referral to see a specialist. Check with your insurance carrier or the specialist you’d like to see.

We’ll note here that some kinds of pain, like minor back pain, will get better on its own without treatment within a few weeks if you take it easy and do some home-care things like ice, rest, and elevation (when needed).

However, if your pain is severe, if it persists for more than a few weeks, or if you’ve been in an accident, you should see an orthopedic specialist as soon as possible. Other potential reasons to call a doctor include:

  • Pain lasting more than three months with no known cause
  • Difficulty sleeping due to pain
  • Any illnesses or injuries that have healed, but you still feel pain
  • Gradually progressive pain that gets worse with weight bearing

What Can an Orthopedic Specialist Do for You?

Orthopedic specialists focus on one or a few target areas of orthopedics, such as the spine, hips, knees, or hands.  There are lots of specialties, but orthopedic doctors should be able to treat any problem with the bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, or tendons.

At OSA, our orthopedic specialists teach you about the crucial components of your pain and how to get back to normal. Patient education is something our orthopedic doctors in Vero Beach consider vital to success in treating pain. Our team will help you create a treatment plan that suits your preferences and needs.  We’ll show you how to get back to yourself.

Does Your Pain Require a Doctor’s Visit?

First and most importantly, if you’ve been in a car accident or any other type of accident, then seek medical attention immediately for your personal injury. Most of the time, we recommend an ER visit after the accident, which is where you can get a referral to an orthopedic doctor.

Any persistent or consistent joint or bone pain, especially if it lasts longer than a few weeks, would be a good reason to talk with a specialist.  Our lead orthopedic surgeon, John G. Atwater, MD, is a spine surgeon; however, he’s qualified to treat all areas of the body.

The only person who knows what kind of pain you are going through is you. To help the orthopedic specialist and the rest of your care team understand the pain, be sure to tell us everything you know about your injury or acute pain. This can be hard if you don’t know what caused the pain, but that is more reason to see us.

Seeing an Orthopedic Specialist in Vero Beach

If you feel like you need to see a specialist in Vero Beach, don’t hesitate to request an appointment with Dr. Atwater. Getting treated and making appointments is easier than ever with our secure online forms. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask questions. Our team is ready to help. Take the first step in treating your pain by confronting it with an orthopedic specialist.

Share with others: