A car accident can happen in an instant, and they happen every single day, ranging from minor fender benders to far more serious accidents that result in debilitating injuries. While a majority of the estimated six million accidents that take place annually in the United States only involve physical damage to the vehicles, one in three accidents cause injury to the drivers or passengers of the cars.
No one gets into their car thinking they will be involved in an accident, but it is nonetheless important to know what to do in the off chance another drive hits you. It can be difficult to stay calm in these situations, but doing so will benefit you in many different ways. Accidents can be very stressful, regardless of who is at fault. Once you’ve moved your car to the side of the road (if possible), the first thing you should do is check yourself and others for injuries. In many cases, injuries do not show up right away, which is why it is important you see a personal injury accident doctor as soon as possible.
Steps to Take Following a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a handful of things you should do in the immediate aftermath. The steps we will go over below are designed to protect you, your passengers, and your best interests. Here are a few things you should do if you are in a car accident:
- Stop your vehicle – Even if the accident is a minor one, never leave the scene
- Contact the police – The police should always be called, even if no one appears to be injured or hurt
- Check on others – Once you’ve moved to the side of the road and called the police, make sure any other drivers, passengers, or pedestrians are OK
- Collect information – Talk to the other drivers and get as much information as you can, including:
- The names of all drivers and passengers
- License plate numbers
- Insurance information
- Makes and models of the other cars
- Location of the accident
- An account of what happened from any eyewitnesses, as well as their contact info
- Document the scene of the accident – Take pictures and write down details that may help your case
- Seek medical attention – Even if you do not notice any injuries right away, it is always a good idea to see an injury accident doctor following a car accident
- Report the accident to your insurance company – Once you’ve been checked out and the police have given you the green light to leave, file a claim with your insurance company
Accidents can be intimidating and scary, even if no one was seriously injured. Never admit guilt and always see a doctor to make sure you didn’t sustain any lingering injuries that may require physical therapy or another form of treatment down the road.
Physical Therapy for Car Accident Injuries
Many people experience low back pain following a car accident, especially if it was a rear-end collision. About 80 percent of Americans will experience low back pain at one time or another during their lifetime. One of the best ways to recover from an injury that you sustained in a car accident is through physical therapy. The main goal of physical therapy is to increase mobility and joint function, which a car accident can compromise.
How a Personal Injury Doctor Can Help
While you may think you are fine following an accident, many injuries can show up hours or days after the incident. This is why it is so important to visit a personal accident injury doctor as soon as possible. Some of the most common car accident injuries that physical therapy and an orthopedic specialist may be able to help include:
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Injuries to the arms or legs
- Low back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Shoulder injuries
If you are experiencing pain in any way following a car accident, it is a good idea to be evaluated by a doctor and ensure you find the right form of therapy that will give you pain relief. By working with an accident injury doctor, you will have a better chance of making a full recovery and moving forward – pain-free.
Need a personal injury attorney in Vero Beach, Sebastian, Port St. Lucie or other surrounding area? Justia Lawyers has a good list of practicing attorneys.